It's been quite a week over here on the east coast.
I took my 3rd grader to orientation at his new elementary school on Tuesday. We got as far as the cafeteria when the earth started to rock and roll a little. Josh was spooked, but eventually decided it was pretty cool. We were fine; no damage to family, home or cars.
Then I heard from a friend at the bus stop the other morning that there had been a tornado warning the previous evening. I was blissfully unaware. Again, no damage to family, home or cars.
Now as I sit here in front of my computer, the sky is darkening outside.
That may not seem too strange, but it's 9:00 am, and Hurricane Irene is on the way. The trees are beginning to sway, and for now, the rain is a gentle drizzle.
Flashlights have new batteries, we bought propane for the campstove, and there's fuel in the big van in case we have to evacuate. We have our little 72-hour food kits ready and waiting for us to open and finally partake of the MRE goodness inside. I guess it may be time to fill the bathtubs with water, gather our candles and board games, and hunker down in the basement.
My mind is overflowing with questions.
Will we lose power?
Will I lose all that wonderful frozen chicken I bought on sale a couple of weeks ago?
Is one of those lovely trees in the woods next to our home going to commit "arborcide" and crash into us?
Will we flood?
Will I be able to shower? Or flush?
And will there be damage to family, home, and cars?
But the even more pressing question: Do I still have to prepare my talk for church tomorrow?
Stay tuned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I hope you guys stay safe...and that they cancel church!
We're bracing for the hurricane right now too--from my in-laws' house. And we're scheduled to fly home to England Monday, so we're really hoping it's not too bad. Good luck!
Sounds like a crazy week. Stay safe. We miss you guys. It was really great to see you and catch up again.
Post a Comment