Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Christmas Break 2011--Part 2

I know, I know.

It's February and I'm still going on about Christmas break.  Cut me some slack, here.

This post was a daunting one.  There were lots of photos, and I felt permission needed to be granted.

Let me explain...

Our family took a fun day trip to DC over the break; we planned to see the National Cathedral and the National Zoo.  Something for everyone, you know?   Since coming back from the land of cathedrals, we've been going through some serious "old building sightseeing" withdrawal.  Christmas seemed the perfect time to get away for the day; even the weather was cooperating.

We've been to both of these places before, but some of our kids were too young to remember or non-existent at the time.  Plus, we had a visitor for the holiday--a nice young lady we'll call Miss B.  She came to visit one family member in particular, and to get acquainted with the rest of us.

A day trip was planned, the cooler was packed with lunch, and we loaded the van.

We snagged a great parking space right near the cathedral and went inside to wander around a bit.  The National Cathedral is a lovely building, and though it's not nearly as old as the European cathedrals we'd been seeing for two years, it's still a great place that invites reverence and appreciation for craftsmen who love God.


Plus, it has some seriously cool stained glass...




This one was Dallin's favorite; he loved the fiery flames.


Josh loved the Space Window, with the moon rock in the center of the red planet.  How awesome is that?





After looking around on the main floor, we went downstairs to see the three chapels on the lower level.

First we went to the Bethlehem Chapel, the oldest of the three:


...then we moved on to the Joseph of Arimathea Chapel...


...and then finally to the Resurrection Chapel, a room full of mosaic tile artworks.




We were fortunate to be at the cathedral on a nice, sunny day.  The sun shone through the stained glass, radiating onto the walls, columns, and floor.





While we were all enjoying our self-guided tour of the building, our Spencer whisked away sweet Miss B, and transformed her from the "visiting girlfriend" to the "future daughter-in-law"!!  What a beautiful and romantic place to propose marriage.


And what a cute couple!
Congrats to you both, and welcome to the family, Miss B!!

5 comments:

angela said...

Yay!! Congrats on the new "future daughter-in-law"...that's so exciting!! You are going to be such a fun MIL!

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

That is gorgeous!! Yes, what a great palce to propose--did you know it was going to happen? You are in your right to be behind on blogging, I have been for the last year. I just posted about snow we had and was amazed I did it within two days of the event happening--that never happens! When is the wedding and where will it be? So excited for you guys!

Kirsty*Howard*Harvey*Layla*Miles said...

I LOVE your photos! That cathedral looks so beautiful.
Congratulations on the growing family! Exciting times!

Prior Family said...

Now that you are blogging again, we need to hear the engagement story and wedding plans. We are so excited for your family and for Spencer.

Heather said...

Congrats Spencer!!! What an exciting time for your family!

I love the National Cathedral. My first visit was when I was fairly young. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see too much of the inside as a five star general's daughter was getting married. But it's very pretty.