As I was driving back home from dropping my son at his early-morning religion class this morning, I decided to have a conversation with my Heavenly Father on the way. I hope that praying while driving is acceptable; heaven knows how many prayers I've offered behind that wheel, and not all of them have been for safety! I think most have been for sanity, but I digress.
During this conversation, I asked Him to help me be in tune with the needs of someone--anyone--today. And I'm not just talking the "in-tune" that tells me that the baby needs a diaper change, you know? I've felt a little self-absorbed lately, living solely within the confines of my home, focusing on the way-too-many needs inside those walls, and totally willing to let the world go 'round without caring who may need some love or attention out there.
So, I had a meeting scheduled this morning, but it ended up being cancelled; I should have known this, but neglected to check the answering machine last night. Rats!, I thought. I drove all the way into town for nothing--I didn't even need to do a WalMart run, or anything. Then I remembered that I had some outgrown baby clothes in the trunk of the car that I had been trying to get to a friend for some time. We could never seem to catch each other. I was about halfway home, but decided to turn around and see if she was home.
She was home. And she needed help. And I could help her. It was amazing. I won't go into her particular struggle, because not only is that not my right, it is not what this post is about. I was shocked that when I asked to be used as an instrument in God's hands, He put me where He needed me. He heard me, and I was actually able to help. This may not be shocking to some of you, but it is to me. Please understand that I am not boasting about how God used me to answer someone's prayer today; I am just sharing my awe in a Father who listens to a prayer in the early-morning, offered by a weak daughter who just wanted to see beyond her own front door.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Beautiful story Heather. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure your friend was glad you said that prayer.
praying and driving work great together - as long as you keep your eyes open...
thanks for being willing to share something that can serve as a good reminder to us all!!!
what a neat experience. thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment