Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Owl or Rooster?

As I was driving along in the early-morning hours today, I began to wonder something: Could I possibly ever become a morning person?

I am a certified night person. I come from a long line of night people (we call ourselves "night owls"). Is it possible for an owl to change its ways?

I mean really, I like morning. I do. I like the peace and quiet, the promise of productivity, the lovely sight of sunrise. If I get enough sleep, that is. And therein lies the problem. With the number of children I have, and the varying ages they are, sleep is elusive. Being well-rested is unheard of. Even if the baby sleeps all night, the teenagers are up doing homework and using the computer till the wee hours. Well, by wee hours, I mean 11:00 pm. But still!

So, how can I realize my dream of becoming a morning person? Or am I destined to remain a somewhat-happy-though-exhausted morning wannabe? Is this one of those "times and seasons" types of things? You know, ideas and tasks relegated to the same pile as family history work and journal writing...

Oh well. I guess I can always try to go to bed earlier.



Sorry--I had to pick myself up off the floor after the laughing fit passed.

So, which are you? And do you think I can change? And for heaven's sake, HOW?

4 comments:

Tonya said...

I am SO the night owl... of course, sometimes I have to pretend to be a rooster - but then I usually need a siesta pretty badly!

Lesley said...

I am not a morning person or a night person. I don't like to get up early, whats the point if I get up early the kids will too, where is the fun in that? I have a hard time keeping my eyes open after 10:00.... So I think I am a lunch time person :)

Trixie said...

I used to not be a morning person, when I was in high school I could sleep through a bomb going off in my room! Now, I'm up before 8, no matter what. i have no idea how that happened!

lrwardell said...

What do you do when you are both? I didn't used to be a morning person but it seems that somehow now that I don't have any children at home it has happened all by itself. I can't seem to sleep past 7 any more. I'm hoping that will change once I am married because my finance is definitely a night owl but not a morning person. Wish me luck. :-D