Friday, March 20, 2009

A Shout-out for Teens

I had dropped off the two boys and was on my way to WalMart to whittle away an hour before a meeting this morning. As I was driving along, I had to wait at a corner for some high schoolers in a crosswalk. These young men were a little on the scraggly side, some with the requisite baggy pants that seem to be a must for boys of that age, some with stringy long hair, and some quite slouchy in their walk and demeanor. I quickly made a snap judgment, and then drove along.

Then I thought about my thoughts. (Does that make sense?) I wondered if people look at my high schooler son with his slight slouch and 12-inch ponytail hanging down his back, make a snap judgment, and move along. My son is more than his posture. More than his ponytail. Thankfully, we don't do the baggy-pants-thing at our house, but even then, he would be more than his pants!

How many of those kids out there are like my son; slightly slouchy due to years of backpacks loaded with books from their honors classes? Growing out the hair that started as slight rebellion, but is now going to be donated to Locks of Love? A Life Scout, Type A, 96% on a math test is not good enough, helping a widow with her yard work on the weekends, kind of kid? I don't know, but it shouldn't matter. I shouldn't make snap judgments about anyone, regardless of age, hair, skin, posture, or fashion sense. Good grief. Shouldn't I be older than this?

How thankful I am that my children are surrounded with good influences, good friends, and good opportunities to serve others. They have wonderful church leaders, school teachers, Scout leaders, and extended families cheering them on, and I am thankful for each person who has helped my children become who they are. And for those that will help them in the future. It's so nice to know that someone's got my back, because I know my husband and I certainly can't do this alone.

We all know that this world is a tough place to be a kid, especially a kid who's trying to do what is right. The last thing they need is me and my judgmental heart, sending critical thoughts their way. Keep on keepin' on, you wonderful teenagers you, and know that someone out there is sending you some love today.

4 comments:

Trixie said...

Amen, Heather, Amen!

TisforTonya said...

but still... could we please just pull up the pants a teensy bit...

because they may not be all about their bum crack, but that doesn't mean we want to know all about it either :)

Nic said...

I used to be one of those. You have always been pretty accepting. Keep up the good work with your amazing kids.

KP said...

Ah, perfect. Love the perspective and totally agree. I am in seminary, teaching 3 days, supporting the other two for a pretty challenging lot. It's great to remember that they are more, even, than their behavior!!