But, I'm getting ahead of myself. First, we spent a few days visiting family and friends in Arizona, then drove through the California desert toward Edwards Air Force Base. We made sure to stop and take a squinty photo of Josh at the Joshua Tree Park sign. Because, really, how many kids have their own national park?!
The morning of July 14th, 2009, we loaded up the van with our supplies and left civilization for a few days. Can you tell I'm not quite a "roughin' it" kind of gal?
Eventually we got to the park, wound our way up to our campsite, and unloaded everything with any sort of scent into our "bear box". Yeah. We were camping in a place where a bear box was necessary. Oh my.
While I was busily cooking a gourmet meal of spaghetti on the camp stove, the guys were busy setting up our lodging for the night. Mom, Dad, and Dallin in the little tent (with the air mattress, baby) and all the others in the big tent. Poor Abby had to share with three brothers--I'm not sure she's managed to recover from the trauma. All I know is that I heard a good deal of giggling coming from the general direction of that tent after lights were out...
At least the spaghetti was a hit! Though Abby doesn't look too thrilled.
Dallin's just excited to be out of his car seat!
One of the only issues I had with our campsite, was that it was situated on dirt that had the consistency of baby powder. It got everywhere, and soon covered everything.
Look at my child--
This was in the morning, at Edwards AFB...
...and this was that evening!
Look at those hands, that face, the grime! And don't even get me started on the bump and scrape on his forehead.
But the good times were just getting started!


No comments:
Post a Comment