My sweet husband took me to Paris.
No, not Paris, Texas, though I'm sure it's a nice town.
THE Paris. As in, France.
Four days without children, without work, without stress.
Four whole days.
Day One consisted of travel, figuring out the Metro system, and then finally, of Notre Dame Cathedral. Oh, it was lovely.
This is the "bored gargoyle", and is one of the most photographed gargoyles on the building. It is the only one with a distinct personality.
These statues caught our eye as we walked around the other side of the building. The one at the top represents the architect in charge of the 19th Century renovations of Notre Dame; he seems to be checking out the spire he created.
The outside was lovely, and so was the inside. The stained glass, the statues, the height of it all. It was breathtaking.
I loved the sculptures of Mary with the baby Jesus, and Joan of Arc.
The whole experience was amazing. That's the only word I can think of. I just had to keep pinching myself.
As we left, we crossed one of the many bridges over the Seine. This one apparently is the bridge of lovers, which I thought was an appropriate way to end this anniversary post.
It was full of locks left by couples, each inscribed with their names and a date.
We thought it was charming, and left wishing we had brought a lock to leave behind.
Oh well, I guess we'll just have to go back!
More tomorrow...


No comments:
Post a Comment