Monday, October 31, 2011

Trunk or Treat!

Every year our church congregation (ward) has a Halloween Party/Trunk or Treat.  And every year a couple of families are assigned to be in charge of the event.  I think you can see where this is headed...

Yes, our family and another new family were put in charge.  Yep.  The two newest families in the ward got the job.  And oh, what a job!  It was fun and stressful all at the same time.  I think the idea was to help us feel involved and integrated into the congregation, and it worked.  We got to know some new people, and learned that we are part of a great ward family that can really come together to pull off a fun activity, even when we get snow and have to move the entire event indoors.  ugh.

We split things pretty logically between the two families; we got the food portion, and they took the games/activities portion.  Worked for me!  I think they ended up with the lion's share, and I kinda felt bad about that, but with the week I had, it was miraculous to even get the food part done!

Anyway, announcements were made at church, assignments to different auxiliaries arranged and given, delegation abounded, emails and phone calls bounced around, and finally, we met on Saturday morning to try to put the whole thing together.







My particular jurisdiction was the beloved "cupcake walk"--a favorite, because it can totally be rigged so that the desperate child who's been walking forever, just waiting for their number to be called wins at just the right moment!  Not that I ever cheated the system...




I think the crowd favorite was the "Doughnut Dangle", 
which seemed to have a line all night!  Poor DH was frantically tying doughnuts on strings, but just couldn't keep up! 
Dallin was a good sport, but was getting a little frustrated.  
I eventually stepped in and held that dangling doughnut still for him!



There were lots of games, crafts and activities. 



Since the weather had turned so cold and nasty, we decided to bring the "trunk or treat" portion of the night inside--a tough call with that many people!  To give the grown-ups a chance to settle themselves around the building, we had DH read some of our favorite "spooky" stories to the little ones.



He wasn't sure he had their attention, so he asked those who were ready to hear the next story to put their fingers on their noses.  I think he had them right where he wanted them!


Overall, it was a fun night, though pretty tiring.  We are blessed to attend church with some wonderful folks, and I was truly impressed at how much people were willing to chip in and get it all done.

The big meanie in me is just really hoping that maybe someone else will be blessed to discover that next year...

2 comments:

Kirsty*Howard*Harvey*Layla*Miles said...

Sounds like you all had so much fun! We miss you guys, hope you're all doing well. Howard and Kirsty

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

I had to walk forever to get a blasted cupcake!! At least in my mind I burned the calories before I ate the prize--but then I had 4 prizes :) yup--I sure did. You guys are missed!