Without the influence of my children, I may never have touched a Harry Potter book, heaven help me. I also might not have heard of A Taste of Blackberries, or A Bridge to Terabithia. Then there's Out of the Dust, which should be a must-read for anyone wanting to get a different perspective on the dust bowl experience. Ah, the hours I've spent reading to Abby; the Little House on the Prairie series, the May Bird trilogy... Is there anything better than curling up with a good book? Maybe curling up with your child and a good book!
This is one of the great things about having elementary school-aged children; you always get to keep abreast of new literature out there. Abby's teacher especially keeps her kids reading, and has opened my eyes to some wonderful books. One in particular is my new favorite.

Elijah of Buxton, by Christopher Paul Curtis
I just finished this book this afternoon, and was amazed at the range of emotions I felt while reading this delightful find. The story revolves around a boy named Elijah, the first free child born in the Elgin Settlement and Buxton Mission of Raleigh in Canada. This settlement was founded in 1849 by a white Presbyterian minister named Reverend William King, who purchased a 3-mile by 6-mile plot of land on which he and freed slaves could live. He felt that there was nowhere in the United States that these African-American slaves could truly know liberty.
Elijah of Buxton is a poignant and wonderful read, and I would definitely encourage all of you book lovers out there to pick up a copy and delve in. I'm not going to tell you more about the story, because I don't want to ruin it for you, but I heartily recommend this one.
Happy Reading!


2 comments:
heather - I need you to write some reviews on my book blog (as long as you're reading kids' books... may as well make my book blog a little less lame!)
www.whatallthekidsarereading.blogspot.com
I am all over it, I love a good book for children and adults. I read the Harry Potter series to my girls and can't wait till the boys get old enough to read it to them. We also love Nancy Drew, the plots are usually lame, but the kids love to guess who done it.
Post a Comment