Yes, Joshua had a big weekend! His 8th birthday was Saturday, so Dad and I took him to lunch and he and Dad bowled a couple of games while I grocery shopped. Ahh, the glamorous life.
When we got home it was time for presents, but I hadn't had time to make the cake, so it had to be postponed to the following night--dumb scheduling conflicts!!
In our church, turning 8 is a big deal; it is the age when you have reached the point when you can choose for yourself whether or not you want to be baptized a member of the church. Joshua decided he wanted to follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized, so we held his baptismal service this afternoon after our regular church services.
It was a nice service, with the whole family participating. Abby and I gave talks, Adam played the piano, Logan led the music, and of course, Dad did the baptizing and confirming. Dallin was the cheering section. The rather loud and distracting cheering section. Thankfully, some dear friends occupied him in the hallway with stickers and treats, so the rest of us could focus on Joshua and his special day. It was a lovely service, though the water in the baptismal font was ice cold. Sorry Josh!
We made sure to feed everyone dessert afterward, and I think folks had a nice time. It was sweet to see the love and support from so many friends; it's hard to believe we've only been in England for a year. We have made wonderful friends here, and I am so thankful for a church that gives us a built-in family wherever we go.
Later tonight we finally had his birthday cake--Josh asked for chocolate cake with green mint icing. I laughed.
You see, that was a favorite in my family when we were all growing up. Josh had no idea, but we shared a good chuckle over the fact that he is definitely my son. Chocolate cake with green mint icing--it's in the genes, man.


3 comments:
What a happy day! How exciting for all of you. Excellent choice with the chocolate/mint combination. I am sure that Spencer is so proud too!
Before I got to the last paragraph, I was noticing that it was chocolate cake with mint icing! Yeah! Happy b-day Josh!
Wow! I can't believe Josh is 8! Congratulations Josh on your baptism!
Post a Comment