Friday, November 12, 2010

A Time to Remember

I was at Abby's school this week for a Remembrance Day/Veterans Day assembly.  My sweet girl is in the show choir, and they were going to be performing at this event, so I dragged little brother along for the fun.

In the United States, we celebrate Veterans Day; here in the UK, they celebrate Remembrance Day.  Different names, but the same sentiment.  It is a time set apart to honor and acknowledge the sacrifices made for freedom.

It was very nice assembly with tributes, visiting British community members and local British school children in attendance.   Abby's choir did well, and she was happy singing and marching with flags to patriotic songs.  Bouquets of flowers were given to local families to show appreciation for the recent loss of their loved ones in battle.

My heart was full as I sang along with the familiar anthems; I was proud of my military spouse, proud of my children, and proud of my country.  I was thankful for our safety, thankful that my husband was kept safe while deployed, and thankful for those who are willing to do what it takes to ensure my freedom and liberty.

Then I had a unique experience: a member of the school staff who had himself served and been twice-wounded in WWII asked the children to stand if they had a parent who is now or ever has been deployed.  All of a sudden, I was surrounded by hundreds of standing children.

I was moved to tears to realize the sacrifices these children are making.

They are the faces of military life.

Thank you to all who have served in the past and to those who continue to serve today.  Thank you to your families and children. 

Thank you.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

That was beautiful Heather, thank you. You military families are amazing.

TisforTonya said...

love it... what a wonderful moment to appreciate the many sacrifices made by military families... (including your own)