I had a strange experience today.
I threw away our baby crib.
After 18 years of faithful service, five children, 10 house moves, 5 states, and two continents, its time had come and long gone.
Did I shed a tear? Nope.
Actually, to be fair, when we tried to reassemble it (for the umpteenth time!) during our move in December and realized that we were missing some vital parts, my eyes did well up just a bit. I was surprised at myself, considering I had always assumed that the day the crib left our house I'd be doing the happy dance in the front yard.
On that fateful day in December, Adam led the ceremonial "retreat of the crib", passing off a side to each of his siblings who had slept in it over the years. One by one they carried the pieces out to the back deck, where they were promptly forgotten.
Those pieces actually made it to the back of the van, and I very unceremoniously dumped them over the side of the recycling center today. I never looked back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Isn't that the one Esther used, too? So 6 kids used it!! Bye, bye crib! And thanks again for letting us borrow it.
Post a Comment