Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Just another Tuesday night

We had a fun, yet weird evening tonight. We had the missionaries come to dinner.

Not that this is weird. We do it all the time. The way I figure it, what goes around comes around. If I can help the missionaries here, then maybe someone will help my missionary son when he needs it.

Anyway, what made it so different tonight was that it's Tuesday night. Tuesday night is madness night, with about a 45 minute turn-around time between walking in the door from work and school activities, and heading right back out again for youth church activities. Nutty. And not necessarily ideal when you are hosting people.

But, these are great guys, and they are always willing to take whatever you dish out--and I mean that literally as well as figuratively. In our extensive experience with feeding missionaries, they eat anything, and do their best to work with your schedule. They are grateful and complimentary of the meals, and cheerfully accept whatever you serve. Even if it's spaghetti. Again.

Our local congregation has the opportunity to feed these fine young men every night, so as to free up their time for the important work they are here to do. We try to have them come at least once a month, but it seems like they've hit a bit of a dry spell with dinner appointments lately. So we took Tuesday night, knowing full well that it was going to be chaos defined.

And it was.

But they took it all in stride, wolfing down their tacos, giving us their sweet message about the importance of prayer between bites of hot fudge cake with whipped cream. And then we whisked them out the door so we could leave right behind them.

Crazy? Yes.

But absolutely, definitely, without a doubt, worth it.

If you get the chance, please invite the missionaries in your area to dine with you. You won't be disappointed. And their mothers will thank you.

4 comments:

matt and michelle ray said...

I miss having the missionaries in our home! Since I'm in Primary we NEVER get the sign-up sheets and we share them with the other ward so there aren't many nights to go around. :( What a blessing to have them every Tuesday!

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

Heather, I am right there with you! This is something that I am missing so much right now and wish so badly that I could break rules and have them over anyway. ;)

lori said...

Here is the link to the instructions for making the love bugs. If it doesn't work let me know and I will try to email it to you.


http://crafts.kaboose.com/love-bug-pin.html

Heather B said...

Michelle--Just to clear things up, we don't get them every Tuesday. I wouldn't expose them to that craziness every week!! That just happened to be the night that no one could feed them this week, probably because of the wildness that is Tuesday night in our ward. I usually aim to feed them on a night when we can really enjoy them and their message.