Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Say again?

Two-year-olds are funny.

They say really funny things.

They do really funny things.

I think this is supposed to counter-balance all of the times they are not so funny.

Sometimes, two-year-old language can be tough to understand.

Like the time Dallin looked down the hallway in our house, then turned to his brothers and said, "Dies, hit gort."

Translation: "Guys, it's dark." Those consonants can be a killer.


Sometimes, things get lost in translation.

Sometimes, I just have to scratch my head, nod, and say, "Yeah, that's right..." in a vague, noncommital sort of way.

This morning was almost one of those moments. Dallin was earnestly trying to get me to understand his needs. He kept saying something that sounded like "bounsareen", and when I didn't get it, the frustration level was mounting. Not that it takes that much to elevate a two-year-old's frustration level...

But I eventually got it. I understood. He was asking for the mini-trampoline that was tucked behind the couch in the family room. Get it? Bounce-a-rine. I think I like his word better. It may just stick. Like "merote", Abby's word for the remote control for the tv. Or "hingy", her word for "hair thingy". I still call hair ties "hingies", and she's 12.

Sometimes, two-year-olds are funny. I knew I had to blog about this cute moment, so that when the next very unfunny bit happens (in approximately 2.3 minutes), I can look back and remember: one of the best benefits of having kids is the constant comic relief.

1 comment:

TisforTonya said...

my brain still yells out "dolphin" when the telephone rings and I need someone else to pick it up... because 20 some odd years ago that's what Nathan called it...