Thursday, February 24, 2011

Getting our "Science" on

A few weeks ago we took the family into London to visit the Science Museum.  It was really cool, and totally free!  I love that about many of the big museums here--nice for a large family on a budget.

We parked the van at our reliable car park, hopped on the tube and headed in for a day of fun and discovery.  Or something like that...

Before tackling the exhibits, we made sure to fill our bellies with our picnic lunches.  The museum gets enough school groups in that they have designated picnic areas--awesome!! 


Now it's learning time!   See how serious they are?


While Dad had the big kids upstairs, I took little man down to "The Garden", an area specifically designed for the 'under 6' crowd.  Lots of hands-on activities, pretend play, and interactive exhibits. 



Once he found the water table, it was all over.  I knew I was in for the long haul. 



Dad and I swapped out, and I eventually found the older kids.  Thank heavens for mobile phones; that place is so big I could have wandered around searching for a very long time.  Abby and Josh experimented with being "Energy Ministers", and quickly decided that it was not for them!  Too much politics!


Adam and Logan were fascinated by this huge analogue computer in the History of Math exhibit.  I think Adam's graphing calculator is more powerful than that beast.  Well, maybe not, but at least you don't have to turn dials and knobs to enter numbers into an equation for it to solve.  Plus Adam's calculator actually fits in his backpack!


We finally all met up at the flight exhibit--Dallin loves his 'hairplanes'!  It reminded me of the Air & Space Museum in Washington DC (one of our favorites), but on a much smaller scale.  There were planes hanging from the ceiling, and lots of cool models.  We had that area pretty much to ourselves, so Dallin and Josh had a good time running the length of the exhibit, arms outstretched, flying like airplanes.  Love it!

It was a fun day, but we were pretty worn out.  Maybe next time we'll get to the Natural History Museum!

No comments: