Friday, October 23, 2009

Oh no. What's that noise in the washer?

Yeah, that's what I was saying to myself just a few minutes ago. It was full of my husband's uniforms and workout gear, so if there was a capless pen running around willy-nilly in there, things could get ugly. And expensive.

Unfortunately, the washers here are "thinking machines". Uh-huh. They are all front-loading things that lock the door when the cycle starts, and won't let you unlock it until the damage is done. Now sometimes this is a good thing. The last thing I want is for little man to come along and open that door in the middle of a wash cycle and flood the kitchen. Or to open it in the middle of a 1200 RPM spin cycle and have our mostly-clean laundry flung to parts unknown.

But still, there's nothing like waiting and listening to the "clank, clank, thud" of some unknown entity lurking in your laundry. I'm not big on dread. Just ask my dear husband.

Well, the cycle did eventually end, and you know what I found? I found 4 and a half pounds of change! Yes, that's right--four and a half pounds!

Ahem, that would be: two 1-pound coins, one 2-pound coin, two 20-pence coins, and 2 5-pence coins. Oh, and an American nickel thrown into the mix. Tee hee. I really had you going there for a minute, didn't I? Sometimes I just crack myself up!

Hey, we laundry-doers have to find some joy in the day, right? At least it wasn't another black pen...not that we've had that happen...yeah, that's my story.

1 comment:

TisforTonya said...

I lost a shirt, pants, and multiple pairs of unmentionables to a black pen recently...

of course, my front loader here has an over-ride feature if I just sit and push the button until it finally understands that I didn't push it on accident for the past 45 seconds...