Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pie or Pi?

Last night I heard a gasp from the dining room table. Adam was working on his AP Calculus homework (bless his soul), and apparently the pieces of some puzzle had finally clicked together. I asked what beyond-my-understanding-concept had crystallized in his mind. He said, "I finally understand pi!"

What the heck?

I understand pie. Pie is to be eaten, preferably with loads of ice cream or whipped cream. Or both. Pie is for holidays, birthdays, anyday. Pie = happiness.
Mmmmmmmmmm.

Now pi, on the other hand, is just one of those random math thingies that I keep waaaay back in the deep, dark recesses of my mommy mind. I think it has something to do with determining a circle's circumference, right? How far I've come from my high school math days.

You know, I could do higher math once upon a time. I liked the orderliness of math, the non-chaos of algebra, and how there was always a correct answer. I think that over the years that part of my brain has been crowded with the randomness and ever-changing messiness of the other more important information of my life, like school bus schedules, birthdays, orthodontist appointments, potty training, and how to make a really good pumpkin pie.

Oh well, I still think I'll take pie over pi, any day of the week.

No comments: