Wednesday, October 29, 2008

95 Miles to Nowhere

I remember when I was a young(er) mom, with a couple of young-ish sons, doing my at-home thing every day. I remember watching and listening to old(er) moms of old-ish children relating tales of their busy-ness, and thinking, "Man, all I do is stay at home. Wouldn't it be nice to get out and about every now and then?"

Fast forward a few years.

Yesterday, I logged 95 miles in my car, and never even went anywhere. My day in a nutshell:
Took #2 son to early-morning religion class = 24 miles.
Took #3 son to emergency orthodontist appointment = 22 miles.
Took #2 son to Honor Band practice, while picking up only daughter from Ambassador Choir practice = 21 miles.
Various errands while on these various trips = 7 miles.
Took #3 son to church activity, while picking up #2 son from Honor Band practice = 21 miles.

Grand total = 95 miles.

I don't mean to complain. I mean, my car is fuel efficient and comfortable; there was no hardship in that regard. And I certainly don't begrudge my children their activities--I am thankful for their talents, and the opportunities those talents afford them. I didn't have to push a handcart, tote any barges or lift any bales. But I did start to get a little tired of seeing the same old streets, the same old cattle, the same old Air Force gate guards...

I don't mind that I am one of those "older moms" with kids that have lives and activities. But the next time I drive 95 miles, I'd like to see a Target, an Olive Garden, or an LDS temple at the end of it all!

3 comments:

Cherie said...

I know it's coming faster than I think. I am enjoying the quiet time though with Olivia in 1st, James at Preschool, and Bailey taking a nap. I have two completely quiet hours two times a week to do what I want (although I have to do it at home . . .no shopping by myself)

Prior Family said...

Amen. I feel your pain. I think I log 300 miles each week and that's just school and dance classes.

Di

Amy G. said...

that's what i have to look forward to? sheesh!