We had no desire to take our big van into the city, so we figured out a way to park it somewhere and take public transport the rest of the way. I mean, we've driven that thing all over England, Germany, France, Belgium, and Scotland, but this is New York City. We're brave; not stupid!
We made it!
Occupying ourselves while Dad works on figuring out the subway.
What time is it?
Time to check out Grand Central Terminal!
Just be prepared to stay in this position for most of the week!
Everything's so tall in New York!
After we left Grand Central, we started walking to our first scheduled destination. As we started down Lexington Avenue, I felt a poke in my ribs. Thankfully, Logan had spotted this gem:
Yeah, we almost missed the Chrysler Building. Nice.
Good thing we had an observant person in our midst! We stepped in for a minute, and Dad got his fill of Art Deco gloriousness.
This photo above is actually the ceiling.
It's so pretty!
But we pressed on, ready to walk around the big city and get to our next stop.
It's a beautiful city, with lots of great buildings--and lots of distractions. Our walk took a while, but we made it eventually.
The United Nations!
It's a cool building with a lot of great art outside.
When we got there we found out you can't take any food/drinks at all inside, so I stayed out with the younger set while Dad took the older ones inside to look around. They didn't catch a tour, but were able to learn a bit about it. It was interesting to sit outside and watch people come and go. So many different languages and modes of dress passed by--it was nice to just sit and observe. And eat some snacks!
Then it was finally lunchtime! I know--can you believe we did all this before lunch? Crazy!
I think I'm going to have to split this day into two posts--that seems a bit ridiculous, but we really pushed ourselves hard on our first day in New York. And we paid the price the next morning.
No pain, no gain, right?


No comments:
Post a Comment